Today is a day off and I was doing a lot of running around. I noticed during my grocery shopping that there was fantastic lighting, with sun shining golden on buildings, while a huge black cloud glowered behind. The sunset was stunning. I did not have my camera. But last night I made up some lists…
Things I like about being back in Kingston:
- Live music, at reasonable hours.
- Cicadas and crickets.
- Three degrees of separation. Everyone I meet knows other people I know.
- Church and City Hall bells.
- The nearness of the country–five minutes you’re there.
- Stone and the old architecture.
- History–local, Canadian and my own.
- Being surrounded by beautiful little towns and being close to Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal.
- Hearing the singing bridge.
- Glenburnie Grocery and Kilborn’s store in Newboro. Cooke’s Fine Foods.
- Feeling more personally involved in my town.
- My friends–old and new.
Things I miss about Vancouver:
- My friends and old co-op, of course.
- Awesome bike infrastructure, including the seawall.
- Good ethnic food.
- Huge Pride weekend.
- Stanley Park. My home away from home in the big city. I was very lucky.
- Produce shops with flowers outside them.
- Community centers in each neighbourhood.
- No mosquitoes.
Things I don’t miss about Vancouver:
- The Robson bus continually being re-routed and wandering around downtown looking for my bus.
- The words “world class” and “urban’.
- Conspicuous consumption–i.e. 100 ft. yachts with helicopters on top.
Thing that I would most like to see improved about my hometown:
Bike paths, bike paths, bike paths!!!!
BTW, I found this video a while back and have never shared it with you. It’s great!